How to Enter
The 2012 PROSE Awards winners were announced February 7, 2013 at the PROSE Awards Luncheon in Washington, DC. Click here for a complete list of 2012 PROSE winners.
Click here to view the list of entries for the 2012 PROSE Awards
Letter from the Chairman
Dear PSP, AAP and AAUP Members,
Once again that time of year is upon us—when publishers from across the country compete for 50 prizes, including the prestigious R.R. Hawkins Award, presented by the Professional and Scholarly
Publishing (PSP) Division of the Association of American Publishers. As a member of the PSP Executive Council and Chairman of the American Publishers Awards for Professional and Scholarly
Excellence (the PROSE Awards), I invite you to submit your outstanding professional, reference, text or scholarly work for the 2012 Awards.
In 2011, for the fourth year running, the PROSE Awards broke its submissions record. With more than 500 entries from over 60 PSP, AAP and Association of American University Presses (AAUP)
member companies, PROSE received more submissions than ever before in the 36-year history of the PSP awards program. The 2011 PROSE program featured increased social media presence through
Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter; the creation of another dynamic multimedia presentation for the Luncheon ceremony, including the short film, Mapping the Slave Trade
(now available for
viewing on the PROSE website and on YouTube); and, for the first time in the history of the program, the PROSE Awards Luncheon was webcast live from Washington, DC, drawing viewers from across
Now entering its 37th year, the PROSE Awards will continue to build on its success and secure its status as the premier awards for outstanding professional and scholarly publishing in the United
States. In 2012, the PROSE Awards continues to extend eligibility to all AAP, PSP and AAUP member presses. PROSE will continue its strong online presence and generate more promotion and
publicity pre- and post-Awards. The 2012 Awards Luncheon will feature the debut of another new, specially produced film, more multimedia presentations and new special guests, and, again, the
ceremony will be webcast so that publishers everywhere can hear the announcement of the 2012 winners live online.
This year, PROSE highly encourages publishers to submit their book cover art with their entries for use in these multimedia presentations. Again, PROSE will post these presentations online at www.proseawards.com
and on YouTube, which means invaluable exposure for submitting publishers. The 2012 PROSE Awards also offer publishers an increased
chance of winning a prize: there are no limits on the number of submissions per publisher in any category; the books and journals categories have been expanded to encourage publishers to submit
both print and electronic products; and there are more categories than ever before. The Awards Committee also encourages publishers to provide more information about their submissions by
including supplementary materials in the form of published reviews; reader reports; and/or editor, publisher or writer endorsements. These materials help immensely in the judging process.
Further details on judging criteria and eligibility rules, as well as the Awards entry form, can be found in the Call for Entries on the PROSE website at www.proseawards.com
. Please contact the PSP Division at 212.255.0326 with any additional questions.
I sincerely hope that you will answer the call by submitting your most exceptional works for consideration for the 2012 PROSE Awards.
John A. Jenkins
President Emeritus, CQ Press
Chairman, 2012 Prose Awards
Highlights of the 2012 PROSE Awards
- Expanded eligibility requirements, including eligibility for members of:
- Association of American Publisher (AAP)
- Association of American University Presses (AAUP)
- Professional & Scholarly Publishing Division (PSP) of AAP
- Five “best of” awards chosen from 45 book, journal and eproduct categories
- Thirty-eight book subject categories for which traditional print, electronic publications and print/electronic packages are welcome
- Five electronic product awards
- Two journals awards for which electronic journals are welcome
- No maximum limit to submissions per publisher in any category
- Awards seals available for winners in sticker and electronic format to promote their win
- PSP Electronic Information Committee and Journals Committee collaborating throughout the planning and judging periods
- Dynamic awards ceremony featuring the debut of another new film created specially for the 2012 PROSE Awards, a multimedia presentation surveying all the 2012 entries as well as the winners,
special guests presenting the top prizes and the Hawkins winner speech
- Live worldwide webcast of the 2012 Awards Luncheon
- Multimedia presentations on 2012 entries and winners, and videos of the entire luncheon ceremony, including the Hawkins winner speech, to be posted on www.proseawards.com and on YouTube, offering increased and invaluable exposure to entry titles and presses
- PROSE groups on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Call for Entries and Entry Form available online only at www.proseawards.com
Book Subject Categories
For traditional print books, ebooks and print books with a companion website or ecomponent.
BIOLOGICAL AND LIFE SCIENCES
- Art Exhibitions
- Art History and Criticism
- Art Technique
- Biography and Autobiography
- Classics and Ancient History
- European and World History
- Language and Linguistics
- Media and Cultural Studies
- Music and the Performing
- Theology and Religious
- U.S. History
- Biological Sciences
- Biomedicine and Neuroscience
- Clinical Medicine
- Nursing and Allied Health
- Archeology and Anthropology
- Architecture and Urban
- Business, Finance and
- Government and Politics
- Law and Legal Studies
- Sociology and Social Work
Reference/Humanities and Social
- Single Volume Reference/
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Single Volume
|PHYSICAL SCIENCES &
- Chemistry and Physics
- Computing and Information
- Cosmology and Astronomy
- Earth Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- History of Science, Medicine and Technology
- Popular Science and Popular Mathematics
For electronic platforms
and eproducts with multiple
- Best in Biological
and Life Sciences
- Best in
- Best in Physical
- Best in Social
On the entry form, please note the electronic publication award category to which
you’re submitting as well as the specific subject category (see book subject categories listed above).
For print and electronic
- Best New Journal
- Best New Journal
in Social Sciences
On the entry form, please note the journal award category to which you’re submitting as
well as the specific subject category (see book subject categories listed above).
The PROSE Awards for
Five "best of" awards
will be chosen from among the winners of the books, eproducts and journals categories
listed on the previous page. Judges will recognize one winner in each of the following categories:
- Award for
Biology and Life
- Award for
- Award for
- Award for
- Award for
Excellence in Social
The R.R. Hawkins Award
The R.R. Hawkins Award, the top PROSE prize, is selected from among the winners of the
five PROSE Awards for Excellence listed above. Books, eproducts and journals are all eligible for the R.R. Hawkins Award.
The PROSE Awards recognize books, journals and electronic products that best exemplify a sound contribution to professional and scholarly publishing, maintaining both the highest editorial
standards and the highest standards of design and production consistent with the objectives of the project.
PROSE Rules for
To be eligible you must:
- Be a PSP, AAP or AAUP Member! If you have questions about your company’s
PSP, AAP or AAUP membership status, please check the AAP/PSP website at www.publishers.org or the AAUP website at www.aaupnet.org.
- Complete and submit an entry form for each book, journal or electronic product you wish to enter. The 2012 PROSE entry form is available online at www.proseawards.com.
- Include additional materials with your entries, such as reviews, background information on project, cover images, etc.
- Include entry fee payment of $85.00, payable by check or credit card, for each title you wish to submit.
- For books: send two copies of each title. Please note: only books with a 2012 copyright are eligible for consideration.
- For journals: send three copies of each title. Best New Journal entries must have been published after 2010.
- For electronic products: must have launched or changed significantly in 2012.
- For multivolume multiyear works: PROSE will accept and evaluate multivolume multiyear works either by individual volume in the year of that volume’s publication (2012) or as a complete work
in the publication year of the last volume (2012). A work may not be submitted both as a single volume and as a complete series.
The following are not eligible for this competition:
- New editions of books unless: substantially different in format (e.g., offers new element, such as an ecomponent) and/or significant amount of time has gone by between editions (i.e., 10-15
years) and/or significant percentage of the content is new (i.e., 30-50%). PROSE judges request a written explanation of why a new edition is eligible and reserve the right to request past
- Publications previously published by another company (not applicable to journal entries).
- Translations of a publication; outstanding English language translations of important works of foreign literature (fiction, poetry, drama), however, will be considered.
- Test or pre-launch journal issues.
PROSE Entry Guidelines
must be a PSP,
AAP or AAUP
member to enter
One title and
one category per
Fill out author
are based on
which you are
the entry will
forms for your
Submit cover art
with each entry
Traditional Print Books,
eBooks and Print Books with
All entries must
have a 2012
Two copies of
the work must
Journal Entries: Print
Best New Journal entries must be published a minimum of two times
per year and must have been published after 2010. "New" is defined as under 3 years
submit the same
journal in this
category if it
Three copies of
the journal must
Include URL and
January 8, 2013
Indicate both the journal award category to which you are
submitting and the subject category that best describes the product or the entry will be disqualified (example: Best New Journal in Science, Technology and Medicine; Biomedicine and
All entries must
Include URL and
to access site
January 8, 2013
Provide site map
and flash drive
with demos with
Indicate both the eproduct award category to which you are
submitting and the subject category that best describes the product or the entry will be disqualified (example: Best in Humanities; Literature, Language and Linguistics)
FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF ELIGIBILITY RULES AND GUIDELINES SEE THE OFFICIAL CALL
The 2012 PROSE entry period is closed and the winners have been announced. The complete list of 2012 PROSE winners can be found here.